Recipes supplied John Connell, The Meat Merchant, Jesmond
Time Rating **
- 1 Feather blade approx 2kg trimmed of fat
- 3 onions and carrots med chop
- 1 clean leek large diced
- 3 sticks celery peeled and diced
- Tomato puree
- 15g porcini mushrooms
- 1 bottle red wine
- 1.5 litre stock
- 1.5 litre water
- 1 head garlic peeled/seasoning
- Small bag of baby onion and mushrooms (opt)
- Set oven at 250°. Brown meat on a rack with a tray beneath to catch residue.
- Brown the flour lightly in oven. Reduce heat to 170°.
- Combine with all other ingredients and cook until tender 3 to 4 hours.
- Pass the liquid through a fine sieve leaving the feather blade to rest in the covered oven dish.
- Skim off the fat and reduce on a rapid boil to the correct consistency.
- Serve with champ, buttered carrots and greens.